It is possible to unlock your phone using the IMEI number. The IMEI number is a unique number assigned to cell phones and works like a serial number. Find your IMEI number under the phone settings. To unlock the device with the IMEI number simply contact the carrier to unlock your phone free or use a third-party website that offers the phone unlocking IMEI service. To unlock your phone you will need to find your IMEI number, check the blacklist status and carrier name and then enter it into the database to find the unlock code.
Once you have submitted your order simply wait for the order to be completed and you will receive an email stating your order is completed and the unlock instructions or the steps to complete the unlock process for your specific device will be provided. Your phone will be unlocked by either entering in a network unlock code or for Apple iPhones and CDMA devices you will need to simply connect to the internet using a WiFi connection and then the unlock will be pushed over the air to your phone. The entire unlock process is completely safe and easy and in msot cases can be done free of charge.
What is IMEI?
IMEI is a unique 15 digit number that stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity and is found on GSM devices. The IMEI identifies the phone model and carrier on which it was manufactured. The IMEI can also be used to identify if the phone is reported lost or stolen. The IMEI number provides details about the production date, activation date, sold date, warranty status, original carrier, and sold by company. The IMEI number on a CDMA device is called an MEID and is only 14 digits instead of 15 digits.
Multi-sim phones have 2 sim card slots and will also have 2 IMEI numbers. Each sim card slot will have a unique IMEI number appointed to it. For the purpose of unlocking, only the first IMEI called IMEI 1 is needed. Once the phone is unlocked both sim card slots will be unlocked. The IMEI alone in most cases, cannot be used to unlock a phone without additional information such as blacklist status and the original network carrier.
How to Find IMEI Number on Android
There a several methods to find the IMEI number on Android phones depending on the Android version and manufacture software.
Here is the steps to find the IMEI number on most Android phones:
- Open the phone and locate the settings APP. The settings App icon looks like a cogwheel. It can be found under the All Apps screen or the home-screen shortcut or in the top right corner of the Quick settings drop down which is accessed by swiping down on your home screen.
- Navigate to the “About phone” section by scrolling down.
- Under the About phone section, scroll down until you find the IMEI field
- Click on IMEI field and the 15 digit IMEI number will be displayed
On Samsung Android phones with Android’s Samsung Experience you will find the IMEI number under Settings > system > about phone. On other Android versions such as MIUI global version you can find the IMEI number under Settings > About Phone > All specs > Status > IMEI (sim slot 1) / SIm Slot 2 ). On older Android versions such as Android 4.4.2 you can find the IMEI number under Settings > About Device > Status.
For older Android phones with removable batteries the IMEI number can be found on the sticker underneath the battery, near the SIM card slot. To find the IMEI on a phone with a removal battery simply use a paper clip or similar object and slide it into the small hole under your battery, remove the battery and inspect the sticker underneath.
How to Find IMEI Number on iPhone
Here is the steps to find the IMEI number on iPhones:
- Unlock your iPhone screen using the passcode or face ID or fingerprint ID.
- Tap on the settings APP located on your home screen to open it.
- Under settings, Tap on “About”
- Under the About section scroll down to the IMEI field
If your iPhone screen is locked and you want to locate the IMEI number refer to these alternative ways to locate the IMEI on any iPhone model.
Alternative ways to find the IMEI number on an iPhone:
- If you still have the original white box that came with your iPhone than you can find the IMEI number printed on the side of the box.
- If you have the original iPhone, find the IMEI number engraved on the back case.
- Find the serial number and IMEI/MEID on the SIM tray of an iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (GSM model), and iPhone 4s.
- The IMEI number can be found directly on the metal casing of the iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone SE, and iPhone 6 and 6Plus. The IMEI number is located in the lower middle section of the back of the device.
- The IMEI number is printed on the SIM tray of the iPhone 6s, 7, 8, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 12, iPhone 13 and all their variants. Removing the sim card tray is as easy as using a paper clip or the sim card tool that came with the device. On the side of the sim tray is written the IMEI in very fine print.
- Find the IMEI number using iTunes: When you connect your iPhone to your computer, launch iTunes. Once iTunes opens, follow these steps. To view Apple device details, including your IMEI number, click Summary.
- Fin the IMEI using the iCloud account: you can access your iPhone’s IMEI number even if you don’t have it with you. To do this simply visit appleid.apple.com on any browser to get started. After signing in to your Apple ID, find the device you need information on from the list of your devices, then click the device name to show the IMEI number.
How to Find IMEI Number Using USSD Code
USSD is an acronym for Unstructured Supplementary Service Data and is basically a short code or shortcut to access hidden phone menus. Using the short code *#06# will prompt your phone to display its IMEI number on screen.
Here is the steps to find the IMEI number using the USSD code:
- Unlock your phone screen
- Open the Phone APP
- Dial *#06# in the phone dialer
- The 15 digit IMEI number will automatically pop up on the screen.
What Needs to be Done to Unlock Phone with IMEI Number?
After getting the IMEI number, there are some steps to follow in the correct order to be able to unlock your phone successfully.
These steps will guide you through unlocking your phone with the IMEI number:
1. Find the IMEI Number
Find the IMEI under the settings APP or simply open your phone APP and dial *#06# and the 15 digit IMEI number or 14 digit MEID number will appear on screen automatically. Write down the number as it appears.
2. Check the Blacklist Status of the Phone with IMEI
Use the free blacklist checker from www.imeipro.info. Navigate to the website, insert your IMEI number, complete the captcha and then click “Check”. If the result returns as “clean” then you can proceed safely to unlock the phone. If the result shows blacklisted then even if you get the phone unlocked it still will not work on any network provided due to it being blocked for being reported lost or stolen.
3. Order the IMEI carrier check
Use the IMEI check service found on the CanadaUnlocking.com website to find the name of the original locked carrier. You will need to know the name of the original carrier to be able to request the unlock service by IMEI.
Once you have completed the above steps you have everything you need to unlock your phone safely.
What are the Methods to Unlock Phone with IMEI Number?
If you have found your IMEI number on your phone and want to unlock it, here are the ways to unlock phone using the IMEI number. After getting all of this information, you can proceed to unlock your phone free with IMEI number.
Follow the steps below and we’ll explain what you need to do:
1. Contact Carrier to Unlock Your Phone Free with IMEI
Once you received the IMEI carrier check result and blacklist status result you can follow the steps below to unlock your phone free with IMEI directly from your carrier:
- Visit the carrier’s website and read their official unlock policy requirements. Each carrier has similar but slightly different unlock policies. Typically the device must be activated and used on the network for a specified duration usually 30 days or 90 days. The account must also be in good standing with no outstanding payments. Only after learning that your phone is eligible to be unlocked should you proceed to the following steps.
- Contact your carriers customer service department by calling their customer service 1-800 number, or by online chat or directly using the carriers unlock request portal or dedicated app (if applicable).
- Present to the customer service representative your IMEI number, Phone number and Account number and request that your device be unlocked.
- Once they have verified your identity and account status they will proceed with the unlock request.
- If you meet the requirements they will approve the unlock request and provide the unlock code and relevant instructions by sending it directly to your account email usually within 1 to 7 business days (weekends excluded).
Please note: For AT&T locked phones go directly to the AT&T device unlock portal. For Sprint, Telus, and Bell locked phones you need to call their customer service line. For T-Mobile and MetroPCS the unlock request is done using the device unlock APP. For Verizon phones no request is needed, the phone will be unlocked automatically after 60 days of usage on the Verizon network. For Tracfone locked phones can only be unlocked after 12 months of usage and the request needs to be made from their dedicated website portal. For Rogers locked phones a request can be made via online chat. For Koodo, Telstra, EE, Vodafone, Claro and Movistar the request can be made under your account settings.
2. Unlock Phone with IMEI Service
If you are unable to get the phone unlock free with IMEI by your carrier or you simply do not want to wait or waste time inquiring from them then simply unlock your phone with IMEI number using an online IMEI service.
Follow the steps below to unlock your phone using the IMEI service:
- Go to Canadaunlocking.com website homepage
- Select the correct IMEI unlock service from the drop down list by choosing your phone’s make, model and original country and carrier.
- Insert your IMEI into the website under step 2 and click next.
- Click the BUY NOW button
- Checkout using PayPal
- Check your email where the unlock code and unlock instructions will be email to you
Is Unlocking Phone with IMEI Number Safe?
Yes, unlocking a phone using the IMEI number is safe and is the only official method which is recommended by the phone manufacturer. Unlocking a phone by IMEI will not damage your phone in any way and does not void your warranty and is completely risk free. Comparatively, unlocking by software is not approved and considered as tampering. It will void your warranty and if done incorrectly it can brick the phone, making it damaged or even completely unusable.
Is Unlocking Phone with IMEI Number Easy?
Yes, unlocking your phone using the IMEI number is the easiest way to unlock a phone. It does not require rooting, jailbreaking or tampering with your phone in any way. Comparatively, unlocking by software is complicated and will require a computer, advanced technical knowledge and tools / software to use where as unlocking with IMEI only requires the IMEI number and account information.
Does Unlocking Phone with IMEI Number Have any Cost?
No, if the device is eligible you can unlock your phone using the IMEI number completely free. However if you have not met the carrier’s unlock requirements then you will have to pay a fee to get it unlocked using a paid IMEI unlock service such as Canadaunlocking.com
Often using a paid service will be a faster and simpler process where you will get dedicated support.
In conclusion, unlocking your phone using the IMEI number is completely safe and does not void your warranty. It is also the easiest way to unlock a phone, does not require rooting or jailbreaking and only requires account information.
If you have questions or concerns about unlocking your iphone or android device with the IMEI number, please feel free to contact us.